After having spent two decades in the armed forces I am very happy with our nationwide symbol, the American flag! Yet it astonishes me just the number of individuals who take pride in our country as well as show the flag happily, on vehicle antennas, flying over car shopping malls, in their vehicle windows, and so forth. What I find stressful is how many individuals don’t know just how to correctly show the flag so as not to show it disrespect. Below I wish to share with you what I discovered in the army regarding showing proper respect to the flag.
1) Flags need to not be presented in the evening. Flags are meant to be installed on the flagpole or in your front backyard at dawn and reduced at dusk. The only exception to this regulation is if the flag is illuminated by a spotlight or some other kind of light that makes it simply noticeable. Now, this brings up all types of “difficulty locations” that are apparent even if you do not look for them. An instance: the structure that does not take their flag down in the evening, the Car Mall that has a flag that’s 2 stories high, flying 2 stories in the air that they leave up all night because it’s way too much trouble or as well large to reduce each day. This Automobile Shopping mall thing type of bugs me anyway for the adhering to reason …
2) American flags should not be made use of for advertising and marketing. Currently, if you drop in the Car Mall and ask, they would certainly inform you “we’re just presenting our national satisfaction!” Unfortunately, you and also I both understand that the genuine reason is to bring in people to make sure that they can market more vehicles. And also most of the time, these flags are not illuminated (see factor top) or absorbed throughout the rainfall.
3) Although the suggestion of having an American flag on your auto antenna appears like a great concept. The problem is when it’s gotten on there so long that it gets old, filthy as well as ratty-looking. At that point, it is a sign of disrespect. I understand that you may be patriotic, but think of it … you’re claiming it’s not okay to shed a flag, but it is alright to leave it on your vehicle antenna till it shreds and discolors into absolutely nothing? I’m not claiming do not have them on your automobile antenna, simply change them prior to they start looking old and also frayed.
4) This one is pretty carefully connected to the “leaving your flag out during the night” guideline. Don’t leave your flag out when it’s raining! At the initial indicator of rain, take your flag inside! Taking a flag within will quit it from fading and/or shredding as well as obtaining weatherworn (see number three). I see a lot of flags hanging around on patios in the rainfall and also it disappoints me that the people don’t consider their flags to bring them inside.
5) And this one is a rule in the military, however, I don’t expect individuals to follow its guidance. I need to admit I don’t always follow it either. The policy is “don’t allow the flag to touch the ground.” Now certainly tossing their flag on the ground signifies disrespect, but dropping it, shaking it off, and also doing away with (or up) can additionally be a sign of disrespect. Keep your flag tidy! If you require to, wash it as well as hang it out to completely dry. Yet do not allow it to get stained, tarnished, or otherwise spoiled. The armed forces actually follow this rule strictly according to this post by BleBur. If a flag touches the ground, or is dropped or otherwise dirtied, the flag is burned.
This is not to claim, that it is melted the method, as well as protestor, would certainly toss the flag on the ground as well as melt it. There is a unique ceremony to be executed during the burning to show it the proper respect. There are a variety of Boy Scout soldiers in our town now that are gathering soiled, damaged, and also simply old flags, to ensure that they can be disposed of correctly. It absolutely breaks my heart to walk by a trashcan and see where a person has actually gotten rid of a flag as if it were simply an additional piece of waste.
Currently, head out there and also share this knowledge with your neighbor, your buddies as well as colleagues. Possibly if we obtain sufficient people chatting, the flag will lastly obtain the respect it is worthy of!